PROTECTING YOUR PRIVACY OUR PROMISES
You are our customers and that's that...
Simply put; if you are a customer, then you are our customer and we will only communicate with you if and when we have something interesting to say. We don't like being bombarded with marketing ourselves, so we won't do it to you. We will not share your data with any other marketing companies, why would we?
For those of you with data and privacy concerns, in simple terms we only store the details you have given us and no financial data, it's only name, address, and details of your purchase plus any preferences you told us about as well as the previous products bought. The financial information we store at The Board Basement covers how you paid and when, no more. Credit card details and such are stored with secure third party software, in this case SagePay. If you use PayPal you are clearly happy with them and they do not share any financial information with us.
The financial information we share with our merchant service companies (Sagepay and PayPal) also helps us prevent fraud. We do recommend you to opt-in to our email list for the updates if you are interested in board sports and the products we sell. We get deals coming in all the time and in a slightly random fashion too, so if you opt-in we will simply drop you a message when something new has arrived or got anything exciting to tell you about. Alternatively you can bookmark our site or follow us on Facebook or Twitter - again we only write when there is something worth saying. We pretty sure you don't care about what we had for lunch or our views of politics, we can't even agree on that.
In end we want to sell you cool and exciting gear for you to have good time with; we are not out to influence your politics or tell you how to lead you life, although we do think saving the world is good thing! As is Snowboarding, the beach, wakeboarding, the mountains, surfing, skateboarding, having a BBQ with friends and dancing like your Dad.
Oh, if you are not yet a customer but a friend who's interested in what we're up too, again we'll only speak to you if you've opted in for us to do so.
If you have any questions, please contact us: [email protected] We are also registered with data protection.
Here’s the details because we need too, it's the law!
At The Board Basement we committed to protecting the privacy and security of our customers and all site visitors (all of you). We appreciate and respect how important privacy is.
WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?
The law on data protection sets out a number of different reasons for which a company may collect and process your personal data, including: Legitimate interests
We collect and process your data to pursue our legitimate interests (sell you cool stuff), in ways they would reasonably expect as part of running our business and which does not materially impact your rights, freedom or interests.
If you have placed an order with The Board Basement, or registered to receive emails, we assume you are interested in our products or services. We will send you emails about products and any special offers.
You can unsubscribe from these mailings at any time, by clicking the unsubscribe link at the bottom of all our newsletters, or by contacting us on [email protected] We may use your purchase history to send you or make available personalised offers – not to profile you so you will vote this way or that.
If you have had problems placing your order and abandoned your shopping basket, we may e-mail you to offer assistance in completing your order.
In specific situations, we can collect and process your data with your consent. For example if you enter a competition we are running on our site or a partners site, and tick a box to receive email newsletters.
In certain circumstances, we need your personal data to comply with our contractual obligations. It is mostly for delivery, or maybe the odd warranty. For example, if you place an order for a snowboard for next day delivery to your home, obviously we’ll collect your address details to deliver your purchase, and pass them to our courier, in order to deliver your order.
If the law requires us to, we may need to collect and process your data. For example, we can pass on details of people involved in fraud or other criminal activity affecting The Board Basement to law enforcement. Unfortunately this happens but we do our best to prevent it. It is also why we work with secure 3rd party payment tools and payments channels such as PayPal.
WHEN DO WE COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL DATA?
- When you visit our website, and use your account to buy products and services
- When you make an online purchase and check out as a guest (in which case we just collect transaction-based data - you may still opt in to receive our newsletter).
- When you create an account with The Board Basement.
- When you purchase by phone or at our office.
- When you contact us by any means with queries, complaints etc.
- When you enter our competitions.
- When you fill out any forms on www.falsee.com
- When you book any kind of appointment with us to visit our shop or warehouse.
- When you choose to respond any surveys we send you.
- When you comment on or review our products and services.
WHAT SORT OF PERSONAL DATA DO WE COLLECT?
If you have a web account with us (or place an order as a guest): your name, billing/delivery address, orders and receipts, email and telephone number. For your security, we’ll also keep an encrypted record of your login password.
Details of your interactions with us online, via e-mail, or over the phone.
For example, we collect notes from our conversations with you, details of any complaints or comments you make, details of purchases you made, items viewed or added to your basket, voucher redemptions, brands you show interest in, web pages you visit and how and when you contact us.
Copies of documents you provide to prove your identity.
This may include details of your full name, address, date of birth and facial image. If you provide a passport, the data will also include your place of birth, gender and nationality. Or a copy, screenshot of your bank statement in terms of fraud checking. We do not store documents used to prove your identity on or offline. If we ask you to prove your identity for fraud prevention purposes, we will delete any documents provided before your order is dispatched.
Details of your shopping preferences.
Personal details which help us to tailor your shopping experience
For example, you might tell us your preferred snowboard size, which we’ll use to guide your suggested items. We’ll only ask for and use your personal data collected for recommending items of interest and to tailor your shopping experience with us. Of course, it’s always your choice whether you share such details with us.
Payment card information.
We do not store full card details either online or offline. At no time during the boardshop checkout does anyone have access to your card details - All card processing is handled by Sage Pay.
Your comments and product reviews.
To deliver the best possible web experience, we collect technical information about your internet connection and browser as well as the country and telephone code where your computer is located, the web pages viewed during your visit, the advertisements you clicked on, and any search terms you entered.
INFORMATION OF CHILDREN
The Board Basement does not target and is not intended to attract children under the age of sixteen. Although visitors of all ages may navigate through our website we do not knowingly collect or request personal information from those under the age of sixteen. If, following a notification from a parent, guardian or discovery by other means, a child under sixteen has been improperly registered on our site by using false information, we will cancel the child's account and delete the child's personal information from our records.
HOW AND WHY DO WE USE YOUR PERSONAL DATA?
We use your information in a number of different ways - what we do depends on the information. The following lists a full breakdown.
Your name and contact details
How we use your name & contact details:
- Deliver your purchases to you. We’ve got to do this to perform our contract with you (it’s a bit hard to send your order if we don’t use your name and contact details!)
- Send you service messages by text, e-mail or, such as order updates. We’ve got to do this to perform our contract with you (so you can tell when your order is coming)
- Sending you information by email, about our new products and services, or sending our weekly trade in surfboard newsletter (best e-mail of the week we are told). You can unsubscribe at anytime.
- Sending you unfinished order e-mails to determine if we can help with an unfinished shopping basket.
- Fraud prevention and detection. To prevent and detect fraud against either you or The Board Basement, unfortunate, but absolutely essential
- Showing you a few adverts as you browse the web, so you can see our latest products and deals
- Finding out what you, and other customers like, to ensure we are giving you what you want, and to stay as the UK’s best independent extreme sports stores.
- What you’ve said to us, for example, over e-mail, the phone, on instant chat, or on social media.
Your payment information
This means your card’s number, security/CVV code, don’t worry, we don’t keep them. How we use your payment information:
- Take payment, and give refunds. We’ve got to do this to perform our contract with you, we’re not giving everything away.
- Fraud prevention and detection. To prevent and detect fraud against either you or The Board Basement, unfortunate, but absolutely essential.
- Your contact history with us.
How we use your contact history
- Provide customer service and support. We’ve got to do this to perform our contract with you, after all, you expect the best service from us.
- Purchase history and saved items.
- What you’ve bought and what you’ve stored in your basket for another time
How we use your purchase history and saved items
- To sell you things.
- Provide customer service and support, and handle returns.
- Finding out what you, and other customers, like.
How we use information about how you use our website.
- Improve our website and set default options for you (such as language and currency). To give you the best possible shopping experience.
- Protect our website. To prevent and detect fraud against either you or The Board Basement Ltd, unfortunate, but absolutely essential and to meet our legal obligations about looking after your data.
- Your responses to surveys, competitions and promotions
How we use your responses to surveys, competitions and promotions
- Run the survey, competition or promotion. We’ve got to do this to perform our contract with you, if we can’t use your entry, you can’t possibly win - you really want to miss out on a free snowboard!
- You don’t have to give us any of this personal information but if you don’t, you may not be able to buy from the site, and you are unlikely to receive our optimal overall customer experience.
We also anonymise and aggregate personal information (so that it does not identify you) and use it for purposes including testing our IT systems, data analysis, improving our site. Samples of this aggregate data may also be shared with third parties.
WHO DO WE SHARE YOUR PERSONAL DATA WITH?
We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again. We do not, and will not, sell any of your personal data to any third party including your name, address, email address or credit card information. We want to earn and maintain your trust, and we believe this is absolutely essential in order do that.
However, we share your data with the following categories of companies as an essential part of being able to provide our services to you, as set out in this statement:
- Companies that do things to get your purchases to you, such as payment service providers, and delivery companies.
- Credit reference agencies, law enforcement and fraud prevention agencies, so we can help tackle fraud, and provide order on finance options.
- HMRC if audited for VAT because we’re small enough not to afford to expensive lawyers to avoid paying it.
On the website we collect anonymous data based on your behaviour (we’ll come back to this), and this is shared with:
- Professional service providers, such as advertising partners and website hosts, who help us run our business online.
- Website team to help make the journey through the website better.
HOW TO STOP MARKETING MESSAGES FROM THEBOARDBASMENT.COM
If you have placed an order with theboardbasement.com, or opted in to receive our newsletter, we assume you are interested in our products or services. We will send you our weekly e-mail newsletter, our weekly surfboard trade in newsletter, and any special offers from time to time.
If you do not want to hear from us after this, its really easy, just unsubscribe. Its at the bottom of our emails, or you contact: [email protected] Once you do this, The Board Basement will update your profile to ensure that you don’t receive further marketing messages. You don’t need to complain to the ISP or anyone else, just let us know.
Please note that, it might take a few days for all our systems to be updated, so you might get messages from us while we process your request.
Stopping marketing messages WILL NOT STOP service communications (such as order updates, abandoned basket / failed order emails). These are part of the order process. HOW WE PROTECT YOUR PERSONAL DATA
We know how much data security matters to all our customers. With this in mind we will treat your data with the utmost care and take all appropriate steps to protect it. We secure access to all transactional areas of our websites and apps using ‘https’ technology.
Access to your personal data is password-protected, and we don’t store sensitive data such as full payment card information which is held on secure protected 3rd party software.
We regularly monitor our system for possible vulnerabilities and attacks, and we carry out testing to identify ways as we need to be compliant with the PCI otherwise we will not be allowed to take credit card payments.
WHAT ARE YOUR RIGHTS OVER YOUR PERSONAL DATA?
You have a lot of rights relating to your personal information:
- The right to be informed about how your personal information is being used , hence the policy
- The right to access the personal information we hold about you
- The right to request the correction of inaccurate personal information we hold about you
- The right to request that we delete your data, or stop processing it or collecting it, in some circumstances
- The right to stop direct marketing messages, and to withdraw consent for other consent-based processing at any time
- The right to request that we transfer or port elements of your data either to you or another service provider
- The right to complain to your data protection regulator - in the UK, the Information Commissioner’s Office
If you want to exercise your rights, have a complaint, or just have questions, please contact us.
CHANGES TO HOW WE PROTECT YOUR PRIVACY
We may change this page from time to time, to reflect how we are processing your data. If we make significant changes, we will make that clear on the The Board Basement, or by some other means of contact such as email, so that you are able to review the changes before you continue to use www.falsee.com
What are Cookies?
A cookie is a tiny text file of letters and numbers that is stored on your computer or handheld device for tracking and record-keeping purposes. We use both session ID cookies and persistent cookies, to make it easier for you to navigate our site. Cookies collect anonymous data, it is not linked to you specifically, you are simply a string of data. This helps us see what is happening and to find out where things are working. A session ID cookie expires when you close your browser. A persistent cookie remains on your hard drive for an extended period of time. You can remove persistent cookies via your browser’s ‘clear cookie’ function.
More information on cookies is available at www.allaboutcookies.org.
SEEING ADVERTS FOR THEBOARDBASEMENT.COM
Like many extreme sports independents we are not a massive company, with huge marketing budgets. But we do engage in limited online advertising, also to keep you aware of what we’re up to and to help you see and find our products.
Like many companies, we target adverts such as banners to you when you are on other websites and apps. We do this using a variety of digital marketing networks and ad exchanges, and we use a range of advertising technologies like pixels, ad tags, cookies, and mobile identifiers, as well as specific services offered by some sites and social networks, such as Facebook’s Custom Audience service.
The banners and ads you see will be based on information given to these third party companies, or your previous use of www.falsee.com (for example, your search history, products you have viewed). You can opt out of these at anytime by clicking the tool option on the banners or adverts.
We hope this Privacy Notice has been helpful in setting out the way we handle your personal data and your rights to control it. Anything else not covered here.
Please contact us. We are here to help!
Contact details can be found here.